Amidst the picturesque scenes of the fall harvest, a pressing concern emerges—the safety of farm vehicles on rural roads. Harvest season is the culmination of months of hard work, representing the peak of farming activity. It is when farmers earn their income and contribute significantly to our nation's food supply.
Approximately 80 percent of people bitten by an infected mosquito have no disease symptoms. However, the remaining 20% could experience a wide range of symptoms. Once a WNV-infected mosquito has bitten an individual, symptoms usually begin within 3-14 days. In humans, mild cases of WNV may cause a slight fever or headache.
Public health protects and promotes the health of people and the communities where they live, work, learn, and play every day.
Daylight savings time (DST) begins November 6, 2022, at 2:00 am. This day reminds us to reset our clocks (fall back 1 hour in the fall of the year). It also reminds us to replace the batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) detectors in our homes. It's an important reminder because these detection devices are useless without working batteries.
Health problems related to smoking include cardiovascular disease, lung disease, and various forms of cancer. Each carries the potential for long-term, debilitating health conditions, daily medications, financial instability, and a shorter life expectancy.
West Nile virus is the leading cause of mosquito-borne disease in the US. During an August 9th broadcast, WAND-TV news reported that the Macon Mosquito Abatement District detected the first batch of WNV-positive mosquitoes in Macon County.
The Moultrie County Health Department provides routine inspections and permits for all new septic system installations, as well as modifications to existing systems, to ensure compliance with Illinois Department of Public Health requirements. Download Septic Application
The Moultrie County Health Department, in accordance with Illinois Department of Public Health requirements, provides permits to all persons installing a new water well, repairing or re-constructing an existing well, or sealing an abandoned or unusable well. Provision of permits includes a plan review, inspection, and consumer education as appropriate. The Moultrie County Health Department also provides information on different types of well systems, Illinois Department of Public Health construction and location requirements, safe water supply maintenance, etc. Water testing is also available for well and cistern systems. Download Well Application
The Moultrie County Health Department provides routine inspections of Moultrie County retail food and food service facilities as required by the Illinois Department of Public Health. Consumer complaints, as well as potential foodborne illnesses, are also investigated. Temporary events conducted by non-food service organizations are reviewed to enhance the safety of food served to the public in Moultrie County. The Moultrie County Health Department routinely provides information and updates on food-related issues to all food service facilities, and upon request to residents of Moultrie County. Download the Permit Application to Operate a Temporary Food Service Facility
The Moultrie County Health Department, under contract with the Illinois Department of Public Health, conducts inspections on all permitted tanning facilities in Moultrie County. Inspections confirm equipment and facilities are maintained in a safe and sanitary manner, and support continued permitting of the facility. Permits are issued through the Illinois Department of Public Health.