An excellent program benefiting eligible families, seniors, and farmers’ market vendors. Coupons are available now!
What is the WIC and Senior FMNP?
The Moultrie County Health Department is pleased to once again provide IL WIC Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) services to all eligible families and seniors in and around Moultrie County.
Likewise, we are also thrilled for the opportunity to support our local farmers and produce vendors in Farmers’ Markets throughout the area.
The FMNP promotes the routine consumption of locally grown fruits, vegetables, and herbs as a part of the daily diet. The program supports participants’ access to fresh produce by providing coupons to clients. Purchases made by WIC clients using FMNP coupons help support local vendor sales at farmers’ markets.
Because Moultrie County receives FMNP coupons for WIC clients, we are also eligible to receive FMNP coupons for Seniors. FMNP coupons for Seniors are distributed through the Mid-Illinois Senior Services Center in Sullivan, IL.
In Illinois, the FMNP operates during the summer season. FMNP coupons are good through October 31, 2022 and can be used at any Farmers Market in any Illinois county for purchases from an authorized FMNP Vendor.
What is the purpose of the WIC and Senior FMNP?
- The purpose of the FMNP is to provide fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs from farmers' markets to women, children, and senior citizens to improve the overall health of participants.
- The FMNP also benefits the entire local population by expanding public awareness and use of farmers' markets.
Who can participate in FMNP?
- WIC Program Participants - pregnant, postpartum, breastfeeding women, and children 1-5 years of age.
- Seniors 60 years and older with household incomes of not more than 185 percent of the federal poverty income guidelines.
How does FMNP benefit eligible families and seniors?
- FMNP provides participants with an opportunity to try tasty and nutritious fresh fruits and vegetables.
- FMNP also introduces participants to farmers' markets and teaches them how to select and prepare many kinds of locally grown produce.
How does FMNP benefit farmers?
- The FMNP supports local agriculture by increasing sales at farmers' markets.
- The FMNP also promotes family farms by creating an opportunity for additional sales of a wide variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
- Farmers who want to accept payment through the FMNP program must contact the MCHD or the IDHS to become an FMNP Vendor.
How do participants use their FMNP coupons?
- FMNP coupons can be used during the summer season.
- Not all vendors take FMNP coupons. Look for signs showing which vendors accept FMNP coupons.
- If you cannot get to the market, your proxy (an additional person you designate) may use your FMNP coupons. Please contact your agency to check on your proxy status.
- Lost or stolen FMNP coupons cannot be replaced.
- No change can be given, so be sure to use the full amount of your coupons.
- If you go over the amount of your FMNP coupon, you must pay the difference.
- Sales tax cannot be charged or be a part of the price you pay for your FMNP produce.
- Only eligible foods may be purchased with your FMNP coupons.